Do You Know Labor? Take the Quiz
1. Who said the following: So let us begin anew — remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.
a. Cesar Chavez
b. Joe Hill
c. John F. Kennedy
2. What Labor icon began the American Federation of Labor?
a. Samuel Gompers
b. Eugene Debs
c. Luigi Antonini
3. Who were the first U.S. workers to ever stage a strike in 1768?
a. New York tailors protesting a wage cut
b. New England mill workers protesting working conditions
c. Railroad workers seeking fair pay
4. What state passed the first minimum wage law in 1912?
c. New York
5. What mark did Frances Perkins leave on U.S. history?
a. Organized female sewers into a New York union
b. Served as Franklin Roosevelt’s Secretary of Labor
c. Fought for women’s right to vote
6. What’s another name for the National Labor Relations Act of 1935?
a. Hofstadter Act
b. Wagner Act
c. Brown Act
7. Which president signed into law the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act?
a. Bill Clinton
b. Ronald Reagan
c. Barack Obama
8. What year did Labor Day become a National holiday?
9. How many Americans are there in the workforce today?
a. 217 million
b. 156 million
c. 456 million
10. What was Mother Jones’ first name?
Answers: 1. C; 2. A;
3. A; 4. B; 5. B; 6. B;
7. C; 8. A; 9. B; 10. B